Saturday, August 25, 2012

Stiegl Radler Lemon, Austria

Stiegl Radler Lemon - 3/5

I stumbled upon this one whilst browsing the beer isle at my local supermarket and it looked quite interesting and rather cheap. Having spent a few days in Austria I don’t recall drinking any of their local brews. I guess the hills we not alive with the sounds of people drinking Stiegl Radler Lemon.
It poured out a lovely golden yellow with a bright, white frothy head. I think my expectations were a little high as I was hoping for something very lemony. There was a faint yeasty, lemony smell which was somewhat pleasant but the taste seemed rather uninspired. I feel like fruit notes in beers need to be very subtle or quite predominant and in this case it was neither. All I got was a very light malt and a mediocre taste of over ripe lemon.
Having said all this you might be questioning my three out of five rating. I had just been out on the bike and I was in desperate need of a cleansing ale. Although maybe not the best man for the job, this beer really hit the spot. Any other day and it might have received a point off.

No comments:

Post a Comment