Friday, December 10, 2010

Fullers ESB - Chiswick, London, UK

Fullers ESB - 4/5

If you are not familiar with Extra Special Bitters let me give you a quick run down. ESB's are not overly bitter as the name would have you believe. English ESB's are generally light in carbonation, dark gold to copper in color, and have really even balance of malt to hops. You can drink them cold, but I think you will get the best out of them if consumed a little cooler than room temperature.

I have a soft spot for Fullers Brewery as I lived 10 minutes down the road from it in Hammersmith, London. I was in the European deli around the corner from my house here in San Diego and found that they had a huge selection of English beers. How stoked am I?

Fullers ESB is dark amber in color and goes down smoothly. You will never hear me describe beers as creamy; it's just wrong! It's mildly sweet with a toffee and nutty aroma and is balanced perfectly by the hops.

If you haven't tried or are a little intimidated by English brews then I recommend Fullers ESB. It will not disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Go Chiswick! Try Chiswick Bitter too. Only 3.5% though...

    ReplyDelete