Monday, May 14, 2012

St John Brewers – Virgin Islands, Island Hoppin IPA – St John

Virgin Islands, Island Hoppin IPA - 3.5/5

A friend from work, Paul was thoughtful enough to smuggle me back a beer from his week in the Virgin Islands.
I happened to be eating a meaty pizza last night so thought it was a good opportunity to pull out an IPA from the beer fridge. Having said that, it would take some convincing that this beer is a true IPA. It poured out a light amber color and had a nice white foamy head. It was light and fizzy which lead to high drinkability. There was a sharp citrus hop note up front which gently lingered and slowly drifted away. Sounds like an IPA right? I would almost call it an India Pale Lager.
Although deliciously drinkable, it lacked the complexity of a true IPA. If you can get your hands on it, I recommend it as a session beer. Thanks Paul for the donation. It was a worthy addition to my repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment